Mango kadhi aka fajeto is very famous among Gujaratis around the world. This kadhi mostly made during mango season (summer months in India). During the weekend we will have special lunch during summer which includes mango shake, roti, tadka moong dal, mango kadhi (fajeto) and rice. And I am telling you….this is the best lunch one can have 😛 😛 !! We Indians are so crazy for mango. We try to do anything and everything using mango when it is available in plenty. This kadhi is spicy, sweet and tangy.
My family is so in love with this kadhi. Recently I sent kadhi to one of the friend who never tried it before and she was absolutely amazed by the taste. Let’s see the recipe…
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ripe Mango pulp – 1 cup
Sour Yogurt – 2 cup
Besan/Gram flour – 1/2 cup
Curry leaves – 7 to 8
Green chilies – 2 to 3
Ginger – 1/4 inch
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Sugar / Jaggery – 2 tbsp or as per taste
Mustered seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seed – 1 tsp
Cloves – 3 to 4
Dry red chili – 1
Asafoetida 1 pinch
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1. Mix besan and yogurt so there is no lump of flour. Then add mango pulp, curry leaves, slit green chilies, chopped ginger, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and sugar/Jaggery. Add about 4 cup of water and mix well. Rub cumin seeds between the palm before adding it to the mixture.
2. Cook on low to medium heat for about 7-8 minutes and stir occasionally. Do not leave on stove for long otherwise yogurt and water will start to separate. The consistency of the kadhi will be very smooth at this point and besan is cooked.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, cloves and dry red chilies and asafoetida. When mustard seeds starts to pop, move pan away from the heat and then add red chili powder. Immediately, pour this hot mixture over kadhi and mix well.
4. Cook on a low heat for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander before serving. Serve when it is hot. Serve this scrumptious kadhi with roti and rice. Make enough…I sure you will finish it!
Try this kadhi and adjust the heat and sweetness as per your taste.
Please do leave a comment or let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes in your news feed!