My family loves lasagna. It is a very famous Italian dish. I make vegetable lasagna with few variations. You can use regular lasagna or gluten-free lasagna noodles.
I bought a big butternut squash and was planning to use it. Since my son loves lasagna, decided to cook lasagna with butternut squash. The final dish was super hit. I made two trays one using regular lasagna noodle and another with gluten-free lasagna noodle. You can cut the ingredients if you want to make only one tray.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 75 minutes
1 large butternut squash cut in cubes
2 big onion finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp crush chili flakes
200 gm ricotta cheese
Salt to taste
1 jar (630 ml) pasta sauce
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili flakes
10-12 sweet basil leaves
18 lasagna noodles (9 each for two trays)
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat oven at 350°F. In a baking tray, spread chopped butternut squash, rub with olive oil. Bake it for 35-40 minutes or until squash is soft. In a mixing bowl mash baked squash.
2. In a fry pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp chili flakes and saute for few seconds. Add chopped onion and cook until onions are translucent. Transfer this cooked onion to mashed squash. Add oregano, salt and mix well. Leave it on side to cool. When mixture cools down, add ricotta cheese and mix well.
3. Cook lasagna noodle as per package direction.
4. In another bowl, prepare layering mix. Mix pasta sauce, oregano, chili flakes and sweet basil. Add about 1 teaspoon water to make spreadable consistency. I use store-bought pasta sauce but if you want, you can make sauce at home. There are lots of pasta sauce recipe available online.
5. Grate Mozzarella cheese.
6. In a baking dish, start layering lasagna. First spread 1-2 tbsp pasta sauce at the bottom then add lasagna noodles. Spread half filling and pasta sauce. Add another layer of lasagna noodles, then remaining filling and pasta sauce. Finally layer lasagna noodle, pasta sauce and spread cheese on top.
7. Pre-heat oven at 350°F. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes. Then remove foil and let it bake for another 10-15 minutes.
8. When it is ready, let it cool for 15-20 minutes before eating it. Cut in pieces and serve when it is warm.
Enjoy this lasagna with your friends and family. Kids will eat all the veges without realizing it.
Hope you will enjoy this dish as much as my family did. Try it and let me know if you have any question.
Send me your comments or feedback of how you like my recipes and the blog.
Thank you for visiting my blog. Happy cooking!
You can also checkout my Eggplant lasagna recipe.
Check out my Facebook page and like the page to receive the latest recipes on your news feed!
You can also follow me on Twitter @BhavnasFoodJrny